Tuesday, December 29, 2009

striping my snake

The snake is supposed to be an Amazon Tree Boa, but I made it much more colorful than the real thing. (I made the colors more saturated and exaggerated )

Sunday, December 27, 2009


I changed my mind about the underpainting for the snake. I looked at pictures of an Amazon Tree Boa, and they actually have reddish scales over a ochre/yellow underlying skin. So I made him ochre, and will put reddish orange and yellow stripes over it.

Thursday, December 24, 2009

More work on the skull

The more I paint skulls, the more detail I see. I'm not putting every fissure or "crack" in the painting, but by just putting in a few, it really lends a sense of realism.

I was worried about the background being too dark, but as the painting has developed, I'm liking the deep background, which is almost like a navy color.

The jaw/mandible is the last part that needs a final layer. Then I can start on the snake, bird and branch. Got the base colors on the snake and branch in already.

I should start making better progress. I'm on a little hiatus from my temp job at the Bank, for at least a couple of weeks. I'll be able to get some serious studio time.