Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Journal versus Blog

When I started this blog I thought it would largely make writing in a journal irrelevant. And in fact, I wrote very few entries in my written journal during the time I've kept a blog. Recently, though, over the last couple of months, I've been writing way more frequently in the journal, and I've realized that blogging does not replace journal writing.

My journal includes quite a bit of material that I could never put out for public consumption. In fact, I don't even reveal some of this to good friends or even my partner. In scanning entries written over the last few years, I also realized that quitting my day job has allowed me to look much more deeply inwards. This is inevitable when you spend long hours working in solitude. This is in contrast to my job at the bank, where I spent a good deal of each day on conference calls or in meetings. I didn't have the time or the luxury of spending large amounts of time being introspective as I do now.

Above is a value/compositional study for the next painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment