Sunday, February 27, 2011

Baby Snakes

I made some progress on the painting of snake hatchlings. Over the last couple of weeks, I've transferred the drawing to panel, put in light warm acrylic 1st layer, and then the cool underpainting for the skull. Today, it took all day to block in the snakes. It took even longer than anticipated because I ended up changing some of the snakes from the original drawing. On casual viewing they might look randomly placed, but in reality, final placement was the result of much thought and experimentation.

The dark warm violet ground will eventually be obscured by grass and ground vegetation. I hope to get the background finished this week.

I'm very happy so far with this piece.... I just hope it turns out as well as the rather vague image in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment